If you’re planning on renovating your home this summer, then there’s a wide range of outdoor swimming pools to choose from and one of the most popular choices amongst homeowners is the fiberglass pool. Fiberglass is a material composed of glass fibers and is a durable and strong alternative to the popular choice of plastic in outdoor swimming pools.
As the name would suggest, fiberglass pools are created using a process involving fibers and therefore are stronger and more durable than the plastic ones. This material is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions including water exposure and strong sunlight so you can rest assured your pool will be ready for use all year long. If this is the type of pool you’re interested in, then continue reading.
The Pros And Cons Of Fiberglass
Before making a decision to invest in a fiberglass pool, it is important to understand the material’s benefits and drawbacks. Pros:
- Durable: Due to its composition, fiberglass is very durable and can easily withstand impacts and abrasions. As a result, it is very easy to maintain.
- Safe: Similar to other types of swimming pools, fiberglass pools are safe for use around children and pets. This material is non-toxic and easy to clean.
- Beautiful: Just like the other types of pools mentioned above, fiberglass pools are designed to look elegant and sophisticated. This material is compatible with a wide range of design styles so you’re bound to find one that suits your needs. Finally, the gloss inherent in the glass makes it more hygienic and easier to clean.
- Affordable: Due to its strength and durability, fiberglass can be bought at a discounted rate when compared to other materials such as the acrylic one. This makes it more affordable for the average homeowner.
- Not Water-Resistant: Just like the acrylic and the plastic ones, fiberglass pools are not water-resistant which means that they will deteriorate after just a few days of submersion in water. To avoid this problem, make sure to install a drain in the bottom of the pool so it can easily be emptied should it become submerged in water. Also, be careful not to leave any sharp objects inside the pool such as hooks or staples since it can cause serious damage to people and animals who come into contact with them. Finally, fiberglass pools are more susceptible to extreme weather conditions and high heat than the other two types of pools since it has no insulating properties.
- Installing It Is More Challenging: Just like the other types of pools, installing a fiberglass pool is more challenging since it needs to be built on a structure strong enough to support its weight. This is why the majority of fiberglass pools installed today are freestanding ones. Finally, due to its opacity and non-recyclability, fiberglass is considered to be a non-renewable resource and is therefore becoming more costly as time goes by.
- Eco-Friendly: Because of its composition, fiberglass is considered to be eco-friendly and it’s a great option for those looking to reduce their ecological footprint.
The Growth Of The Market For Fiberglass
Fiberglass pools have been around for quite some time now and it seems that more and more people are taking the plunge and making the switch to this material. The following table shows the year-on-year growth of the global market for fiberglass pools:
Table 1: The Growth Of The Market For Fiberglass Pools (2016 Vs 2015)
You can track the growth of the fiberglass market using the following links:
- US Geographic Market: The US market for fiberglass pools grew by 41% in 2016 compared to 2015.
- Global Geographic Market: The global market for fiberglass pools grew by 27% in 2016 compared to 2015.
- Europe Geographic Market: The Europe market for fiberglass pools grew by 15% in 2016 compared to 2015.
- Asia-Pacific Geographic Market: The Asia-Pacific market for fiberglass pools grew by 12% in 2016 compared to 2015.
- The Rest Of The World Geographic Market: The rest of the world market for fiberglass pools grew by 7% in 2016 compared to 2015.
Looking for a swimming pool that suits your needs? Then have a look at our selection of the best inflatable pools. With a few quick phone calls or e-mails, you can have your new pool in your backyard in no time. So what are you waiting for? Contact us today!