Is It Bad To Have Copper In Pool Water? [Answered!]

Spread the love

Most pools contain a few degrees of copper. It is usually harmless, though it can accumulate in larger amounts and become toxic. Accumulations in fish tanks have led to mass fish kills. When exposed to high amounts of copper, fish develop dark skin, which is an indication of toxicity. Humans can also accumulate large amounts of copper in their bodies, leading to a number of serious diseases. Symptoms of these diseases include swelling, pain, and poor digestion. Fortunately, there are several treatments for these diseases, and many people live a normal life despite their condition.

How Much Copper Is Too Much?

The amount of copper in your pool will depend on several factors, including how much time you have for swimming, how many times you dive, and how often you clean it. Regardless of how often you clean your pool, it will always contain some amount of copper. Due to its redox properties, even small amounts of copper can generate a lot of growth in algae and plants. To be on the safe side, keep the amount of copper between 0.1 and 0.5 ppm (parts per million). Above this amount, algae and plants begin to flourish which can lead to an imbalance in the ecosystem and possible trouble for humans and fish alike.

What Are Algae And Plants?

Algae are photosynthetic organisms. This means that they use light to grow and thrive. Most algae contain chlorophyll, a substance that gives human blood its vibrant red color. Some algae are known to be harmful to humans and animals, as well as any other living thing that they come in contact with. These include the dreaded blue-green algae, which can cause contact dermatitis, and a rash all over the body, especially in children and people with compromised immune systems. Symptoms of these diseases include skin sores and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, people have suffered from blindness and even death. Thankfully, there are now effective treatments available to prevent and reverse the effects of these diseases. Luckily, most algae are relatively harmless to humans and animals, though they can make some people sick or malnourished. Some algae are even believed to have medicinal uses, so keep an eye out for this when you are cleaning your pool.

Are There Any Benefits To Having Some Algae And Plants In My Pool?

While algae and plants are usually considered nuisances at best, in some instances, they can be rather beneficial. Some people believe that having slime molds in their pools can improve their moods and boost their immune systems. Others claim that having lily pads around the edges helps clean the water and provides food for birds and fish. What you need to keep in mind is that these organisms will remain in your pool, and you will always have some amount of them, whether you like it or not. This is why it is always a good idea to test the water in your pool before you start any treatments or make any major changes to it.

Hopefully, this article will help you to understand a bit more about the dangers of too much copper in your pool and how you can keep track of how much is too much. Due to the many benefits that both plants and algae provide, it is often a good idea to keep some around the pool for aesthetic reasons alone. Just make sure that you keep an eye on how much is too much, and clean it regularly so that no one is ever the wiser about your luxurious pool setup.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!