When Is Pool Water Not Save? [Fact Checked!]

Spread the love

Pools are a wonderful addition to any pool-owning household, offering both relaxation and fun. But what happens when your pool water becomes unusable? In this article, we’ll discuss some of the different signs that your pool needs some serious help.

Dull And Rusty Sheen

The most obvious sign that your pool needs some TLC is the pool itself. If the water is too deep and doesn’t move around much, it can lead to algae growth and an unpleasant smell that may not be easily removed. But even if it’s just the sheen that’s dull and rusted, this can still cause some major problems. Throwing in some chlorine to sanitize the pool, in addition to some cleaner water, can be both beneficial and necessary for maintaining good pool health.

Aside from causing major algae growth, if you have a pool with no sheen at all, then it’s practically invisible when sunlight strikes it. This can make it seem like there’s no life in the water at all, leading to potentially dangerous algae growth.

Cloudy Filters

An even more dangerous sign that your pool needs some TLC is the quality of the water. Any sign of dirt or algae in the water could mean that it’s time for a change. To ensure that your pool is safe for swimming, it should have a filter system that’s easy to maintain and requires little to no effort. It should also be cleaned at least once a month with fresh water.

Major Leakage

Even if your pool is in good condition and has all the right signs, it’s still time to worry if there’s a major leak. If you’re not aware of any leaks, then it’s likely that there are some. The constant dripping from above could lead to minor problems like mildew or rust scaling the interior of your home or hot tub. More importantly, the constant influx of water could lead to major flooding or damage. Professionals can easily locate and fix these leaks, making it worth the time and effort to find and correct them. Just because your pool looks and smells great doesn’t mean that it’s not time for some major repairs!

Increased Phosphorous Levels

Increasing amounts of phosphorous in your pool is another sign that it’s time for some serious help. Phosphorous is a chemical element that’s present in all water. It helps control algae growth and even serves as a source of nutrients for some creatures. Too much phosphorous, however, can lead to algae growth in your pool and even more significant problems like sharp tooth erosion in your pool’s human users. Keeping phosphorous levels low is an easy way to prevent these problems from occurring, and it also means that your pool needs to be checked and serviced more frequently by a professional.

Frequent Storms

A major problem for some homeowners is that their pools get clogged with leaves and other debris from the outdoors. During a particularly heavy rain or snowfall season, this can cause major flooding and damage to your pool. If this happens often, then it’s time for some serious cleaning and de-clogging of your pool’s drain system. While this is an easy and affordable process, it does require some skill and proper equipment to be carried out correctly.

Signs Of Disease

Algae and other microscopic organisms can live in your pool and cause all kinds of problems. Some of these organisms are quite dangerous and can even be life-threatening. While most people won’t experience any problems from these organisms, it’s still a good idea to keep an eye out for any warning signs of disease.

If you see any of these warning signs, then it’s time to seek medical help or at least call a professional. Just because your pool looks great and has all the right features doesn’t mean that it’s not time for some serious help!

Some of the organisms that can live in and affect your pool’s water include:

  • Cryptosporidium parvum (the cause of coccidiomycosis)
  • Giardia lamblia (the cause of giardiasis)
  • Diphtheria (causes sore throat, fever, and inflammation)
  • Measles (causes fever, respiratory tract infection, and sometimes pneumonia)
  • Rift Valley Fever (causes severe headaches, fever, and joint pain)
  • Hepatitis A, B, or C (causes jaundice, flu-like symptoms, and in some cases, brain damage)
  • Polio (causes paralysis)

Many of these organisms live in the intestines of animals and birds. If you see any animals drinking from your pool, then it’s time to be worried. While pets can drink water directly from the pool and not experience any adverse effects, it’s still a good idea to keep an eye out for signs of disease.

The Importance Of Regular Maintenance

Just because your pool looks great and has all the right features doesn’t mean that it doesn’t require some maintenance. To ensure that it stays that way, it needs to be cleaned and maintained regularly by a professional. Some of the things that they’ll do include:

  • Routinely inspecting and cleaning the pool
  • Adding fresh water as needed
  • Taking out debris
  • Checking for safe and appropriate depths (depending on the size of the pool, this can range from a couple of inches to a couple of feet)
  • Adjusting the pH level of the water
  • Maintaining the right salt content (determines how well your pool absorbs sunlight and therefore, how fast it will deteriorate)
  • Cleaning and checking for algae growth (once a month, using an algae-specific cleaner)
  • Testing for nitrates, phosphorous, and ammonia levels
  • Adding oxygen to the water via a pool fan (helps improve the quality of the water)
  • Regular testing for pH and alkalinity levels
  • Checking for proper oxygen levels (using a dissolved oxygen level monitor)
  • Maintaining the right temperature (between 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit is perfect)
  • Testing for proper chlorine levels (using a test strip)

While you might think that doing these things is enough, it’s still a good idea to be mindful of other things that you could be doing. For example, if you don’t test for chlorine levels regularly, then it’s very likely that you’ll end up with some algae growth. This could eventually lead to a nasty, bitter taste in your pool.

Aside from the obvious damage and risks associated with algae growth, there are also more insidious risks to consider. Just because your pool is clean and perfectly formed doesn’t mean that it’s not time for some serious help! If you’re not careful, then you could accidentally drink from it or even fall into it. Not only is this extremely dangerous, but it can also spread diseases like giardiasis and hepatitis A through contact with the water. To be safe, always use protection when around water sources and drink only from designated containers or fountains.

A clean and attractive pool doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not time for some serious help. Just because your pool looks perfect doesn’t mean that it doesn’t require some maintenance. Be careful around it and make sure that you’re being smart about water conservation.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!